Working in many different environments, throughout the Water, Energy and Rail industries, Z-Tech's award winning approach puts environmental management at the core of all activities. Our ISO 14001:2015 certified environmental management system, coupled to our robust internal reporting systems, demonstrates our key objectives to be environmentally friendly and reduce CO2 emissions.
Z-Tech’s no1 carbon producer has been highlighted as fleet emissions, since 2009 we have worked hard to reduce this by addressing fleet management, vehicle routing and embracing latest technologies.
Our Energy Saving Trust audit in 2009 highlighted ways we could help reduce carbon from our fleet, and we have implemented all recommendations as well as trialling new technology, these included:
- rationalising vehicle size to job role and downsizing
- limiting speed of vehicles
- tracking vehicles for call-out and efficiencies
- driver behavioural training
- fuel card data analysis, targeting mpg and high-use employees
In addition to this, we have trialled two electric vans in London and two BMW electric motorbikes, we also helped two large water customers utilise a Highways England scheme to trial electric vans and installed their charge points for the scheme.
2020 saw Z-Tech’s Board change the company car policy so that managers can only select all electric vehicles, this included an increase in the company car allowance and extended the cars lifecycle from four years to five.
Our two offices include our HQ at Cambridge and London base at Canning Town.
Both offices are monitored for energy efficiency and we have implemented a number of schemes to reduce energy consumption, these include:
- all lighting in and outside the buildings has been replaced with LED
- the heating at our HQ re-uses the heat from our server room to heat the building through a heat exchanger, this also draws cool air in throughout the summer.
- we have installed chilled and carbonated water stations to reduce the amount of plastic bottles used at work.
- we have installed Electric charge points for company vehicles
- introduced a cycle to work scheme
We have been Silver Members of the Green Organisation since 2017 and our approach to environmental management in engineering was assessed, this resulted in our approach winning a Green World Award in December 2017.